This best selling smoker is one of Traeger’s originals that put pellet grills on the map. And, while it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that Traeger’s top of the line models have, you can’t argue with it’s solid build and dependable temperature controller. Now at a cheaper price, our Traeger Pro Series 34 review has all the details on this popular pellet grill.
Burning Brisket is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate policy to learn more.
Features of the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill
- Powder-coated stainless steel gives durability while looking great
- Large 884 square inches of cooking space, with the option of the smaller 22 inch version
- 18 pound hopper capacity lets you smoke for hours without touching a thing
Ease of use:
- Digital Pro Controller provides excellent heat regulation you can trust
- Versatile cooking with the ability to smoke, barbecue, braise and roast anywhere between 180-450°F
- Hopper Clean Out makes it easy to empty unused pellets
- Two meat probes for internal meat temperature monitoring
In-Depth Review of the Traeger Pro Series 34 Smoker
When it comes to pellet smokers, Traeger is THE house name. And, one that simply must be in the running if you’re looking to buy one. As the pioneers of pellet smoking, Traeger’s popularity has been driven by their quality build and incredible results.
But, what the Pro 34 does have are all the basics wrapped up in Traeger’s high-quality build at a very reasonable price.
Using the Traeger TFB88PZBO Pro Series 34
Featuring Traeger’s tried and true Digital Pro Controller with Advanced Grilling Logic, the Pro Series 34 smoker takes 60 temperature readings per second to stay within +/- 15°F of your target temperature.
Whether it’s low and slow, or maxing out at 400 or so degrees, the LED display will allow you keep tabs on your cook with nothing more than a cursory glance.
The Pro Series 34 really is a true set and forget smoker. Traeger prides itself on consistent temperatures to give reliable results and the reason they’ve kept this 2018 best selling barbecue current is that it does just that.
A super-easy clean-up is a reality too on the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill. The porcelain plates take seconds to wipe down. Grease, which has been funneled into the drip tray, can be quickly disposed of. And, what little ash is produced can be swept out quickly.
Capacity of the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Smoker
I hope you’re hungry because the Traeger Pro 34 is the largest in the Pro Series Range. Offering 884 square inches set over two porcelain-coated racks, this smoker can fit eight chickens, forty burgers or seven racks of ribs.
The pellet hopper holds up to 18 pounds of pellets at a time, giving you about 20 hours of smoking time in good weather conditions.
If 884 square inches in too big for you, the Traeger Pro Series 22 is just a smaller version of this classic.
The Versatility of the Traeger Pro Series 34" Pellet Smoker
Like the rest of Traeger’s range, the Pro Series 34 is designed for 6-in-1 versatility, allowing you to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and barbecue with 100% real wood fired flavor.
And, when it comes to low temperatures, these pellet barbecues will do the job exactly right!
But, with the temperature maxing out at about 450°F, we find that the indirect heat just isn’t hot enough for perfect searing.
Yes, you can grill on them. But, if grilling is something you’ll be doing more than low and slow smoking, the Traeger Pro 34 probably isn’t the right type of smoker for you. Instead, check out the Traeger Pro 780 which maxes out a bit higher, at 500°F, or the well-priced Camp Chef WiFi Woodwind with Sidekick.
Pros of the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill
- Produces absolutely incredible food meal after meal
- Quality, robust smoker from the industry leader
- Very large cooking capacity over two racks
- The Digital Pro Controller with AGL maintains heat well, even in cooler climates
- Includes two meat temperature probes so you can monitor the meat’s temperature to tell when it’s done without opening the lid
- The Hopper Clean Out feature means you can change wood pellets are any time, even if you’re cooking
- Lets you smoke, bake, roast, braise and barbecue
- Easy-clean design
- Compatible with Traegers range of 100% pure hardwood pellets which gives you easy access to a wide range of smoking flavors
- 3 year warranty
- Traeger is known for their excellent customer service if you do have any problems
Cons of the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill
- Temperature maxes out at about 425 which means it’s not ideal for grilling
- No WiFi for remote control
Specs for the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill
Barbecue type: Pellet smoker
Fuel type: Electric / wood pellets
Barbecue material: Powder-coated stainless steel
Grate material: Porcelain
Cooking capacity: 884 square inches
Pellet hopper capacity: 18 lbs
Temperature range: 160°F – 450°F
Price guide: $$
Dimensions: 53″ W x 49″ H x 27″ D
Warranty: 3 years
FAQs About the Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill
Q. Can you grill on the Traeger Pro 34?
Yes, the Traeger Pro Series 34 is designed for indirect grilling at it’s max heat of 450°F. But, keep in mind that it’s not super high heat for optimal grilling.
Q. Does the Traeger Pro 34 need electricity to run?
All pellet smokers need electricity to power the controller and auger. The wood pellets are ignited and burnt, creating the heat and smoke.
Q. Does the Traeger Pro Series 34 have WiFi?
No. The Traeger Pro 34 is one of the basic models in Traeger’s line-up and doesn’t have wireless connectivity. Check out the Traeger Pro 780 with the latest WiFIRE technology if you’re after a remote connection.
Q. Can you smoke meat on the top rack?
Yes. Because pellet smokers have a fan to circulate the heat just like a conventional oven, the top rack still gets good exposure to heat and smoke.
Q. Is Traeger made in China?
Our Verdict on the Traeger Pro Series 34 Review
Traeger’s Pro Series 34 pellet grill and smoker has all the essentials you need and nothing you don’t. From an industry leader in quality and consistency, it’s a solid buy for anyone who values reliability and perhaps doesn’t have the budget for the ‘latest and greatest’. We dig it!